30 things you really should do in Antwerp this winter
From tasting “smoutebollen” in the Christmas market or sipping a doubly delicious hot chocolate with lashings of whipped cream, screaming at the top of your lungs while sliding down a slope on a tube or enjoying the peace and quiet of Sint-Anneke beach, Sunday shopping for gifts for your loved one or smooching under a diamond… Here's a list of 30 things (and more) you really should do in Antwerp this winter!
And no, our intention is not for you to tick off all our tips one by one. Instead, we hope they will inspire you to enjoy a magical, warm, crazy, and exciting winter in Antwerp. It would be really nice if you shared your winter top tips with the entire world, using #AtypicalAntwerp.
So pop on your mittens and your hat because Antwerp beckons!
1. Drink a “Bolleke” in a proper pub.
2. Take the ferry to Linkeroever for a winter walk along the Scheldt.
3. Forget about the cold among the cactuses and exotic plants in the botanic garden.
4. Explore the city on a red Velo city bike.
5. Watch a spectacular 360° film about diamonds in Koningin Astridplein.
6. Leave a wish on the wishing wall in Suikerrui and passionately hope that your wish will come true.
7. Take a stroll among the Galloway cows in Hobokense Polder.
8. Hop on a random tram and enjoy the surprises along the way.
9. Explore Antwerp in an original manner during a game of City Golf.
10. Sip a decadent hot chocolate with lashings of whipped cream.
11. Sunday shopping.
12. Take a spin in the giant Ferris wheel to enjoy the most amazing views of the city.
13. Organise an election for the best winter treat.
14. Steal a kiss under the mistletoe.
15. Print your own Christmas cards in Museum Plantin-Moretus.
16. See Queen Elizabeth’s tiara sparkle in the MAS.
17. Score some amazing gifts for your loved ones, in original shops and pop-ups like De Nieuwe Natie.
18. Spot François Pompon’s polar bear in the Middelheim Museum.
19. Take the train to Antwerp and arrive in the world’s most beautiful station.
20. Enjoy food and drinks in the Mercado food market, the Christmas market or one of Antwerp’s many trendy bars.
21. Sing along with the singing Christmas tree, no matter how funny this may sound.
22. Go see China Light in the ZOO.
23. Sip coffee in one of the local roasteries.
24. Slide down the tubing slope with your child, grandchild, godchild, faster than lightning.
25. Get lost in the city’s streets and follow the prettiest Christmas lights.
26. Show off your skating skills to Rubens.
27. See the fireworks on New Year’s Eve.
28. Go say hello to Nello and Patrasche at Antwerp’s cathedral.
29. Search for Ursa Major under the starry skies in Dageraadplaats (even on cloudy days).
30. See circus artists perform breakneck stunts at Wintervuur.