Antwerp is the home city of Rubens, the economic driving force of Belgium, the diamond world capital, a creative metropolis and a city that strongly believes in innovation.
Why choose Antwerp for your convention or conference if you can also organise it in another city? This is what makes Antwerp so unique:
Antwerp is the home city of the Baroque painter Rubens
- Rubens is Antwerp’s most famous citizen since 1589
- His 17th century house is a museum with a unique collection
- XL-Rubens collection of 51 paintings, 7 drawings, 2 000 prints, 4 architectural designs, 24 designs for title pages and many book illustrations
Antwerp is the economic driving force of Belgium
The port of Antwerp is one of the largest in Europe.
- It accounts for over 150,000 jobs, generating 4.8% of the GDP and 19 billion euro of added value
- Centrally located in Europe: 60% of European purchasing power is located within a 500-km radius of Antwerp
- Europe’s largest petrochemical cluster
- Largest banana port in the world but also a port of transit for steel, coffee, liquid bulk such as chemicals, crude oil, grains and seeds
- Proximity of production centres, logistics and industry
- Antwerp Maritime Academy: unique, internationally renowned programmes in nautical sciences and marine engineering
Antwerp is the diamond world capital
- Diamonds and Antwerp have been inextricably linked for 550 years
- A thriving trade centre where 84% of the rough stones and 50% of the polished diamonds are traded
- 1 900 companies, creating over 1 800 jobs
- 4 diamond bourses
- Superior craftsmanship and innovative technology
- 1.5 billion euros of added value, creating 34,000 jobs in Antwerp
Antwerp is a creative hub
- Royal Academy of Fine Arts is a historical leader in creativity
- 4th oldest academy in the world with international reputation of 350 years
- 3 319 fashion and design companies based in Antwerp, creating over 4 800 jobs
Antwerp strongly believes in innovation
- At the forefront in medical research and development
- Bright minds flourish and thrive in Antwerp:
- The University of Antwerp is a leading research institution for drug discovery and development in the field of neuroscience, such as for Alzheimer’s. Moreover, the university is home to some 2,500 researchers working in nine research areas
- Antwerp scientists have already developed therapies for diseases such as Ebola, Zika virus and malaria.
- Education of an international standard; every year 700 new health workers graduate from the Institute of Tropical Medicine.